Movestrong, Blogstrong

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

OSC better than ROM

Saturday mornings I've started playing the role of tourist in Toronto. That's Daddy & Munchkin time!
Last week we went to the science centre, and this week we went to the Museum.
The whole week I was looking forward to the time, and we had such a blast!

For a 16 month-old, the science centre gets my vote overall, but there were some things she really liked.
For 17 bucks, you get a whole morning, which is better value I think than a formal program like gymboree....it's at least around the same price. They have all sorts of interactive learing displays, and some really cool new workshops. There's definitely some older exhibits- remember the one with the static electricity hair from 1981. That stuff is kind of dated, but still cool. Remember this kid?

The best for toddlers though is the kidspark. it's 2 full zones for kids as early as toddlers to explore, learn and discover.

Top notch. Except the little Loblaws store in the middle of it. Brand placement starts early I guess.
The in-door rainforest was super cool, and it's a cool environment to run around in.

It's got all those escalators on different levels.

Plus its got the imax dome which is a plus. Parking is 8 bucks, but I parked across the street for free and walked 5 minutes.
They also have a re-done outside area in front that is really nice. Check it out.

Note:
Now this post has been taking me a lot of time.
I think I need to get into the habit of posting without all the pics, since fitting that stuff in is very time consuming, and a hassle.
So I think I'll start posting without pics right away, and that way continue the habit of posting. But I digress

The ROM was also great, but not as much to do with the toddler. Their kid's learning zone was too old for the munchkin.
What was really cool about the trip was that we went on the subway! I walked her in the sling up to the station and onto the train so easily.


There is some serious construction going on at the ROM, which I think looks really cool. I know others who don't like the crystal and the old ROM together, but cool is cool. It's a marval to me that we're able to construct such complex architecture. I couldn't do it.

It's reminds me of the Hitchhiker trilogy, where Arthur gets stranded in prehistoric earth, and can only figure out how to make sandwiches.

The dinosaur exhibit was closed - Huge bummer!!
The animal exhibit was pretty cool, I just wished that they'd had more.


The last museum I was at was the American Museum of Natural history in New York. That's the best museum ever!
But I could see the ROM getting WAY better as the kids get a little older. They had a great looking program going with kids making their own statues and artifacts. Very cool.

What I've discover is that playing tourist in Toronto rocks! There's so many cool places to go and things to do. Discovering all these things all over again is so much fun, and such a riot. I remember going to these places with my parents and grandparents.

Next week is the Ontario Art Gallery (also by TTC- this time a streetcar)
After that I'm not sure. Casa Loma maybe
There are a lot of great outdoor places too, like High park, Sunnybrook park and Bruce's farm.
Any ideas of great places in the city to discover is appreciated too.

1 Comments:

  • don't forget riverdale farm and the greenhouses at allen gardens (both accessible by TTC and free). maybe a ferry ride over to the islands, then rent a bike w a kidseat. and of course, the zoo which is good in any season.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home