Movestrong, Blogstrong

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Chiropractic is the safest

I was asked to blog on the issue of chiropractic safety, as many wonder about it.
Let me say this first. As someone who went through four years of Chiropractic education, and 3 years in practice, I believe now more than ever that from a practitioners perspective it is the single biggest non-issue I face.
What do I mean by that? Well, the likelihood of having a serious complication from a chiropractic adjustment is estimated to be 1 in a million to 1 in 5 million. Consider that.
Did you know that medicine and medical errors are the third leading cause of death in North America behind heart disease and cancer? And here in Canada serious side-effects are separated by years!
In my opinion, the chiropractic controversy is that more people aren't under regular chiropractic care, and are taking drugs given to them by their MDs every single day to minimize and mask their symptoms-and make them think they're healthy! That's scandalous!!!
Medics have fallaciously told people for decades not to go to chiropractors as "it could kill them", and then give them drugs under the guise of safety, that actually kill people.
Your risk of dying from a gastric bleeding ulcer from taking Tylenol is hundreds of times greater than having any kind of serious side effect in a chiropractors office.
Is there a risk? Yes. Is it safe? Absolutely!

I have often joked with colleagues that according to MDs, DCs have the highest rate of spontaneous remission around! When a patient responds well, they must have gotten well on their own....but when someone has a problem, any temporal relationship to their last adjustment must have been the cause.

I've been asked by some MDs not to adjust patients necks.
I always ask "why?" .
"Well, that stroke thing".....
So I ask them what they think the risk actually is.
"Oh, really small I know.....just don't do it"......
So doctors recommend against care that is incredibly effective and safe, because their personal bias is that it's dangerous? Outrageous!
I've met MDs who said there was no evidence I could provide them to prove it was safe, or to get them to refer a patient to me.
Is that evidence based medicine????

I had the pleasure of addressing 30 family doctors at the hospital next to my office, and on the issue of safety I had this to say:
"You would all love to trade malpractice rates with me!" They all nodded their heads, because they know that the likelihood of a patient having a SERIOUS side effect under their medical care is FAR greater than them having any kind of side effect in my office, let alone a stroke.

Chiropractic is the most widely utilized complementary health field outside of medicine, and is the safest thing around. It keeps your body working great, helps with flexibility and energy levels, and for most people would make a major and immediate positive impact on their health and the health of their families.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home